November 12, 2004

Singapore Motorshow 2004

Arrived at Level 4 of Suntec International Convention and Exhibition Centre at 11.30am for the biennial Singapore Motorshow and left the exhibition at 4.20pm a highly-satisfied visitor. Having been to countless motorshows since my secondary school days (or the days when race queens only appear on TV), my visit for this exhibition is the lengthiest. You see, SM 2004 have so much to offer.... if (ideally) I have to take pictures of 70% of all exhibits of luxurious cars, concept cars and vintage models.... conduct driver's seat test on 60% of all exhibits of consumer cars.... watch adrenaline-pumping stunt performance by World No. 1 Precision Driver, Russ Swift, 2 times.... photo-taking of all the Race Queens (!!!) plus some miscellaneous exhibits and events, I will still be at the exhibtion hall, camping for the night. One need 2 days to call it an exhibition well-visited. The $10 entry fee is certainly worthy, especially when visitors are offered Nescafe.... free flow!!

Many exhibits to look at, but most of my attention is concentrated on the race queens. For your information, the appearance of race queens in local motorshow only started in the year 2000, in a japanese car show held at Expo. The previous motorshows only features cars and more cars.... which I did not find dull. In fact, back in the good old days, without even a camera to take pictures, my friend-cum-regular exhibition companion and I looked seriously at every car and take every opportunity to take the driver's sit and car-opener tests.... and brochures are must-takes. Have to say that the appearance of the race queens in motor shows has changed visitors' visiting patterns and priorities in car shows.... and now, the curves that attracts are not really that of a Ferrari or a Porsche. I would even dare conclude that many would not even be in the show, if not of the race queens.

But it is not a bad thing. On the contrary, I marvel at the appearance of race queens in car shows. If we really want to do any research on cars, we have the internet. Compared to the yesteryears, we are more updated of developments in the car-buying market with more spaces devoted to motoring on newspapers and more motoring magazines. Nowadays, we even have car dealers selling their 'wares' in pasar malams. Without the race queens, I would not see much reasons to visit a car show. These babes are not there to sell their smiles.... also, I think cars dealers are not really there to sell their cars too.... these shows are all about brand-building and changing of perceptions. Most importantly, these race queens, like bar-top dancers, make Singapore a more happening place to live in.

So I can be forgiven for my failure in all achievable tasks in the show, except photo-taking of race queens. And yes, with the introduction of a digital camera in my family, I am able to take pictures and a record number of 228... of cars and humans in 5 hours. Numbers numbers, it is my nature to choose the best of all based on numbers.... my love for statistics struck again and I am to conclude who is the best race queen. One photo I took of a race queen earns her a point and the one with the most points is the race queen of all. Individual photo and photo with me or my friends are allocated one point. If two race queens appeared in one photo, each will get 1/4 point. And they must be in the same outfit. The results and beautiful faces are uploaded below. Have a fun time oogling and reading my short comments. For all that flirting by my camera, I might have to dodge the falling axe of my missus now. I hope to see you again. (Run......)

Mazda, Ms. Girl-Next-Floor Posted by Hello

Points: 9.75. The Mazda girls only appear once every 10 minutes for about 5 minutes, compared to the others who stand at their respective stations for at least 20 minutes at a go. So everytime the "zoom-zoom-zoom" plays and they appear, they create a hype. These girls know how to pose with cars and they never stay in the same position for more than 10 seconds. That encourages me to take photos of them in different poses. Ms. Girl-Next-Floor ranks higher in terms of looks and posture than her partner, Ms. Girl-Next-Doll, and thus more photos of her.

Lexus, Ms. Elegance Posted by Hello

Points: 8.00. This is one of the most beautiful race queens in the car show on photo, only if you do not use the flash. Use it, and you will regret for the rest of your life. And please, no close-ups. High ranking consider that she does her stuff to slow music of piano.... which means she has to be as elegant a.k.a. static as possible. Everytime I put her in my camera's LCD screen, I only want to make things right. Very friendly with my camera.... never complain when I took so much picture of her.

Nissan, Ms. Bare Back Posted by Hello

Points: 8.00. I wonder how she got here. Perhaps it is her bare-back outfit. If there is a best-dressed category, she would have won. Maybe it is the good lighting that encourages me to take more photos of her. The numbers are not telling the truth.

Suzuki, Ms. Thailand Posted by Hello

Points: 8.00. If Ms. Bare-Back is a wonder, this must be a miracle. Maybe it is towards the end of my visit and I am anxious to use up all my memory in the camera. Did not pose very well in a few photos.... but made amend when tasked to station at the above car. Looks like a thai, doesn't she? Nothing much to say about her.... just very lucky.

Suzuki, Ms. Sweet Smile Posted by Hello

Points: 7.00. This is the race queen with the sweetest smile I have seen in the show. Has the face of a girl who every boys want to show their mothers. Don't put your hopes too high.... the girl is possible engaged.... click on the picture and look at the ring on her 4th finger, left hand (or should it be in which hand?). No wonder, she poses in the same position.... showing her left arm prominantly. Or maybe, she just want to stop men from pestering her. She is not available, dudes.... how heart-breaking. Just enjoy the view.

Yamaha, Ms. LiLian Posted by Hello

Points: 7.00. This race queen deserve commendation. First, posing for a motorcyle dealer.... a minority in the show. Second, posing for a stingy motorcyle dealer who don't want to spend money to design his booth. Third, posing for a stingier-than-we-thought motorcyle dealer who dress her only in T-shit and mini-skirt. This young-looking girl has come far, grabbing 7 photos from the big girls. Her strength lies in her ability to pose well with a motorbike and her "ah-lian" image. They go together. A few photos are so hot.... I can't put them here considering that this is a family blogspot. Somehow, I have this intention of cronwing her the best race queen, but the statistics tell otherwise and it is fair. Not that pretty, but goes very well with a motorbike. Looking like someone you see on the street, one has better chance of being her boyfriend.... thus the day-dreamings.

Best Teamwork goes to Subaru Race Queens. They portray a consistent image.... all of them beautiful, all of them tall, all of them friendly, all of them in same outfits and all gesture excuse me when someone interrupts the photo-taking by requesting to take a photo with them (the plank is always not there when I need it!). Possibly due to their exceptional beauty and near distance, I find it very hard to stablise my camera and am not comfortable with taking too many shots of them. Heaven must be missing some angels.

The Singapore Motorshow 2004 will be on until 21 November 2004. Visit www.motorshow.com.sg

1 comment:

Unknown said...

The lian is still the best! Maybe because I have more interest in bike than cars...