October 13, 2004

When Will I See The Lights Again?

Today might very well be my last day in ADSS. Only yesterday, I have kept my options open, following a great time with 1E2. After a night's sleep, I am back on earth. I would not say that a decision has been made but circumstances are more in favour of me not going back to any school for relief teaching for the rest of the semester. Fair to my everything I will always be.... however, relief teaching are mostly done at the expense of my studies.... which ironically is ranked highly on my achievements list for 2004.

I believe the post-exam activities that I thought of conducting in classes are going to be very interesting, with students remembering the happy moments for a long time. And it is going to be enjoyable for me too. But again, I am a relief teacher.... and will not be with them through to their crucial 'O' or 'N' Levels exams. These games, quizzes.... build bonds, break walls and really, it is vital for their own teachers to conduct these activities.... they certainly have more ideas than me. After working hard with the students for one year, these are breathers for both parties. So I am not very keen at substituting the teachers during these precious moments. However, if circumstances have improved and the school need my service, I would not say no.... if the school need help, means the school need help. Just hope that teachers are all healthy and course-free during the post-exam period.

My one month in ADSS has been an eye-opener. I used to think teaching is an easy job.... as in a teacher only works for half a day, get to enjoy at least 50% of 12 weeks of school holidays, etc. Actually.... lessons need to be prepared, syllabus need to be planned, marking is tedious and annoying sometimes, courses take away time with the family and friends, poor performance by students requires explanation and action, counselling for troubled students, remedial classes for weaker one. On top of these, there are CCAs to be in charge of. Meetings, special events, secondary duties in school.... the list goes on. The job is of course satisfying, but none the less easy.

My one month would not been so enriching if not of the teachers. Like to express gratitude to HOD Science for inviting me to his class to observe how he engage his students and the few teachers who "interrupted" me during my lesson.... everytime they speak, I learn something. Must not forget the students too, because without them, a school is only an office for teachers. They make it a learning hub.

All good things must come to an end, permanently or temporarily. I look forward to seeing the Guiding Lights again. For now, let me wish them a successful final year exams and happy holidays ahead.

No comments: