December 01, 2004

First Singapore Idol

The most recognizable person in town now.... at least for one week, the most printed face on local press…. And the most talked about on radio. Who else could it be, except Taufik Batisah, the first Singapore Idol. We have witnessed some unpolished performance by other contestants during the Spectaculars which require them to sing only 1 song. Taufik has delivered his goods, not 1, but 3 songs, to the right person, right place, right time. His performance tonight is, without a doubt, flawless.

I am always quick to leash out merciless comments about a poor performance to my siblings and normally, they are proved valid by the experts in the field – The 4 judges. This evening, I did not mind keeping quiet as if I am immune to sounds and melodies. Being an open “Sly” supporter, did not want to appear inconsistent by complimenting Taufik at that moment…. But I cannot help shaking my head each time Sylvester performed. There and then, I know Sylvester could not bluff through with his smiles anymore and he knew it. On-off Idols viewers, there will be many and they probably would not even know how these 2 young men ended up in Singapore Indoor Stadium. All things being equal, they are going to vote for sensation…. That is, Taufik.
Will They Disclose the Margin?

To me, Taufik is the most improved contestant and most versatile…. Remember how he rapped a few verses of “Where Is The Love?” by Black-Eyed Pea during the Spectaculars? I am impressed…. Trust me, it is not easy, not that I stutter. But being greener that green grasses around the island, he seems very, very confident that he will be in to the next rounds for whatever reasons and that turns me off.

Sylvester, on the other hand, is unique.... not only the genre of music he sang on the Idols stage, his selection of songs is bold…. Tends to sing difficult songs which, if performed well, will be sensational. This is someone who is not afraid of being different and constantly challenges the norm, or that is what many people think. Definitely an unfound in the music industry and he can well fill the gap. Although he is not a strong vocalist, there is something that makes me want to support him…. Perhaps because he is an underdog.

Lots of unfriendly publicity about this 2 young men recently…. The police reports made against Mrs. Sim…. Olinda’s supporters switching to support Taufik (2 vs 1!!)…. At the end of the day, it is performance over all else and we are presented the worthy winner of the competition - Taufik Batisah.

No comments: