December 16, 2004

Jockeys

Which is P. C. Wu?


Found my old research articles on horses and horse-racing while disposing old items to create space. Those research were done during my secondary school days to write a story based on horse-racing to kill time. The deed is inspired by some of the most colourful races and people I have witnessed or know during my stint at the old Bukit Timah Turf Club. And among the pile of papers, I found some pictures of jockeys The above 2 stand out. It is only now that I realised that I share some common features as the above jockeys.

The one on the left is I. Saifudin - One of the famous jockeys who enjoys consistent form, but is never too sensational. The other one is Singaporean-champion jockey, J. Saimee. He has topped the jockeys' charts a few times in the past 10 years since I know of his existence and has won quite about all featured races on the local racing calendar. Both are still racing.
“To pilot a racehorse is to ride a half-ton catapult. It is without question one of the most formidable feats in sport. The extraordinary athleticism of a jockey is unparalleled: A study of the elements of physicians found that of all major sports competitors, jockeys may be, pound for pound, the best overall athletes.”
- Adapted from 'Seabiscuit', Laura Hillenbrand.

No comments: